Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Decorate Yourself - Fabric Cuffs


     Part of the fun of fabric shopping is wandering through the "notions" section. That's the section with buttons, thread, zippers, and trims...it's the accessory section for fabric. The notions section is about as dangerous for me to walk through as a shoe or jewelry section in a department store. I have this thing for accessories. So, why not combine the two? Use the notions to make my accessories! So many possibilities.      
     Shiny...


      Shabby rustic...


       Bright...


       Classic...


      Gold buttons...


      Or maybe silver?...


       A girl has to have some options after all. Are you tempted? Want to make one? I bet you have all you need already sitting around your house. All you need is fabric strips, trim, lace, and buttons. No special order, no special colors, just whatever suites your fancy. I make mine about 2 inches wide. The ones that button using button holes are 8 inches long. The ones that button with an elastic loop are 7 inches long. I'll show you how to make the one with an elastic loop, since the other is pretty self explanatory. An elastic loop is best used on ones that have an irregular button size or a fabric/trim that you can't put button holes on.


      For this one, I used black trim, two types of white trim, a button, and about an inch and a half of elastic cording.


      I cut 8 inches of all the trims and sewed them all together down the middle.


      Next, I folded down the ends and sewed them. I made sure to douse them in fray check so they will stay nice and tidy.


      To make the loop, I crossed the ends of the elastic over each other and sewed it down on one end.


      I'm not sure if you can see, but I sewed at a couple spots to make sure it was nice and snug. You also want to make sure it is tacked down right at the very edge or it will pull funny when you wear it. Lastly, I hand sewed my button on the other end.


       There now, that wasn't bad was it? The lace one above was done much the same, accept when I folded down the edges, I sewed in the elastic.


     Then I pulled back the other way and sewed it down again. Lace is much more fragile, and I felt this would help stabilize that area a little better.


       I found that I needed less elastic than I thought to get a nice snug fit.


      The button up ones are just strips of fabric with button holes on one end, and buttons on the other. I love to wear these layered with bangles.


      So many more options left to try...now if I could only figure out how to make my own shoes. I'd be deliriously happy. These are also available for purchase in my Etsy shop, since, you know, I need an actual reason to buying pretty buttons and trims for bracelets that I absolutely need to make. You know how these needs go I'm sure.  If you make one, I'd so love to see it! Don't forget to drop back around and show me!

Hebrews 2:9   But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. 

8 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous! I especially love the first one you showed. I just inherited some great brooches that I can use for this too! If you're looking for another place to share your great tutorial, head on over to Etcetorize (http://etcetorize.blogspot.ca/2012/04/make-it-great-monday_29.html). Hope to see you there~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby. I just wanted to stop by and see what you were up to since you were so kind as to come by and leave me a comment. Thank you! Wow, that last bracelet is really beautiful and such a clever idea. I can't wait to see more of your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby, thank-you for your comment on my blog. I stopped by to visit you and saw these lovely, lovely bracelet!. We are both pursuing our bracelet inspirations...fun. I love these especially your shabby rustic and gold button they are very unique. Beautifully done, Shari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are gorgeous! I am so inspired and will have to take a shot at making one of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful cuffs! I hope you don't mind that I pin this tutorial. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!! I love these!

    new follower here - stop by my place and do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just darling! Such a clever Idea...and you are right I DO have everything I need to make these including the sewing machine. The only problem is that I have yet to learn how to use the machine without breaking it (it hates me). I had to pin this to my "if I ever learn how to sew" board for when I finally conquer this machine. This will be a fabulous way to use some of the vintage buttons I have in the "too pretty to use in projects" pile. Thanks for sharing :)

    Amy*

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can make $20 for a 20 minute survey!

    Guess what? This is exactly what major companies are paying me for. They need to know what their customer needs and wants. So large companies pay $1,000,000's of dollars per month to the average person. In return, the average person, myself included, participates in surveys and gives them their opinion.

    ReplyDelete