Friday, March 2, 2012

Pinterest and Knowing your Style

pinterest


      Pinterest. Did the world really exist before it?? Now, I'm as addicted to it as the next person, however, I do have a few thoughts on the subject. Please refrain from throwing rotten tomatoes at me until I'm finished. =)
     My first thought, be inspired, but don't be a reproduction of someone else.

remind

      Very well put, no?  Pinterest is wonderful for inspiration. You can see every take on every subject imaginable in visual form. To say you can get lost browsing through it, is an understatement. But, I am not everyone, I am only me. I don't need to have a house/body/wardrobe/kids that look just like what happens to be all the rage at this present time. If what is popular happens to fit my particular tastes, than I am all for it. It won't always fit though, and it is easy to fall into the trap of morphing yourself into what everyone else decides they like. I get such a chuckle when I see a mass produced reproduction of things, like a vintage egg crate, for sale in a big box store. It's all hip right now to go vintage and rustic, but I can't help but wonder how many people who "love" all that now, really actually do. A style is a story, an era, a unique beauty, a personality...it's not something that someone else should be able to decide for you.

Haha, ungodly true.

      When I find myself letting my Pinterest browsing turn into a "wish" list, rather than an "inspiration" list, well, its time to go find something else to do.  It is real easy to decide you don't like a bit of what you DO have, after you've seen a bunch of things you DON'T have. All the green tea and apple chips in the world aren't going to turn me into that model on the screen. I'm not that old, but I'm finding out more and more, I mine as well be happy in my own skin with the people and things God has chosen to bless me with.
        I don't mean to sound "anti-Pinterest", it has been so helpful to me in more ways than one. One huge way is, helping me to see what really appeals to me style wise. It occurred to me that I have a lot in my closet, and even have been trying to sell stuff in my Esty that just aren't "me". My Pinterest boards have helped me pinpoint what elements of style and design I really appreciate.

  
     Seeing everything all in one place, really made me see that I needed to relook at what I wanted for my shop. That's a great thing! I love having a clearer direction, and being able to work towards that.
     I recently read the most amazing article, here, written by Cheryl Nicolia to photographers. Her advise could so easily apply to any one's particular area of interest and work. Her first point, summed up exactly what I am trying get at..."Style is a voice, not a prop or an action. If you can buy it, borrow it, download it, or steal it, it is not a style. Don't look outward for your style; look inward." I adore a good knock off...but, I can't expect to base my entire being off of someone else's design.  That entire article is so so good, I practically want to frame it and put it in my work room.
       I plan to keep right on pinning and have fun with it! I also plan on refining those God given individuality's and see where they can take me.
      Happy weekend!! (all images found via Pinterest)

Psalms 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.



      


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. wonderful point! found myself thinking that same thing this week. Love reading your thoughts,keep it up!! ~mev

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you,let me explain how :)
    1) inspirations. of course I've become a pinterest addict and of course I made my own inspiration board. Some projects are cool and I wanted to pin them. It's obviously a great way to save them, instead a folder in your desktop full of images. About doing projects at the same way: I think there's two way. One is about project that REQUIRES the same steps, example, if I had to do a ruffled tshirt, I'll do it like the one I saw on pinterest. Two in about personalization, example: bracelet made with leather and colour things, I'll choose my favorite colors and that's all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2) wish list. I think it's about being honest with ourself. That's why I have an inspiration board and an home board. I still live with my parents, so of course the home board is about my wishes for my future home. :) You spoke about clothes, probably you're right saying that pinterest is about inspiration, not a virtual shop list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made 3 comments, just to focus on the 2 point...and because my english is terrible, and if I write very long comment, I lose myself in grammar XD hope you understand my point of you :)
    kisses and have a great weekend!

    on pinterest: oshifugushima :)

    ReplyDelete